- 0 comments
Are you thinking about adding a solar system in your RV or motorhome?
Here are 5 simple things to get you thinking…
1. Budget - It seems things always begin and end with money…. but if you set a budget for yourself it will help you decided where to put that money.
2. Wattage - Its tough to figure out how many watts you will need, that might take some research, depends on the number of people, and it your wanting to keep the same lifestyle as if you were at home. Think about ways to save on energy….solar powered lights along with LED lights, an inverter the plugs into lighter to charge computer and devices…maybe even a french press to replace your coffee maker. Usually it's about a dollar a watt.
3. Type of batteries - there are many types to choose from, I’m no expert, We went with hight quality solar batteries….here is a link the might help
4. Where will the panels go? - Solar is all about efficiency….and RVing is all about using your space wisely….having panels on the ground allow you to move them around and point toward the sun, but you need to store them somewhere. If you mount them on your roof, they will be stored and out of the way…and will be changing whenever the sun is out….even while your on the road!
5. Controller - In my option the most important part of your system. Hence the name, it controls the energy coming in from the panels and keeps your batteries properly fed and safe for the long term.
There is a lot to think about, not to mention all the wiring you will need as well. But when done right it makes for an amazing way to travel….and being self-efficient is great for the environment.